14 August, 2007

Manila's Reinvention? or Destruction?

Being updated on the news is everybody's responsibility. Awareness is what we lack today-a necessity for us to make ourselves worthy of what and who we are. I am a Filipino and a Manileño, and I am doing this because I am proud to be one.
The reign of Atienza in Manila was a great leap forward for Manila, for the mayor contributed a lot and is visibly seen in the streets and parks. Manila had earned great revenues during these years, for the city served as an open museum for those travelers who want to see a glimpse of becoming a Filipino. It offered great parks and nature reserves, plazas, and brought back the old glory of Manila Bay which had been ruptured before the mayoralty of Atienza. But if we are to compare the old and new Manila, the new city itself is a clear vision of progress and improvement. Going back, I can honestly say Atienza had contributed a lot for the city,and as I had observed on the news, the present mayor calls for "destruction" and rest assured I am sharing the same sentiments with these people who were dismayed about his game plan. Dilapidating baranggay halls which had been there for ages, eviction of the renters at Baywalk, and now, the take-over of the local government to this slaughterhouse which has been supplying meat to the entirety of Manila and adjacent cities-to where my father used to offer his services for a decade I guess; these things are his definitions of "reinvention."
I am not bitter about the fact that my father used to work in the company, I am just so disappointed that we paid right taxes for these things and yet, the effort of paying it right and considering that it was hard-earned money lead us to nothing. What I am trying to say is that we, or I, as a Manileño has every right to be against these things for I am paying right taxes, and I abide with the law. I just hope the present mayor considers the consequences of his plan. Is this the downfall of Manila?- for those who go against the rules I guess. Still, we have every hope for a voice to be heard. Let's just look forward to hearing it soon.



Disclaimer: freedom of speech. I have every right to exercise this freedom.



2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

i've read about that sa Sunday Inquirer some time ago...i thought Lim doesn't like it lang. id didn;t know he'd go all the way to removing the establishments there... baka it's a case of mismanagement in the past pa... Lim might just be doing what he thinks is right.

triZzZ said...

I'm not being bias or anything, it's just that I'm just disappointed about removing establishments. We paid right taxes for these things. i don't have any idea about mismanagements, but I won't go against his administration; I know he won't do these things without reasons.

I watched Probe last night, and it tackled these projects of Lim,and he clearly stated that he do these things because of law. I must say he has every reason to do so.

I'm just so sad about the establishments. Such a waste of money. It should have been given to those who needed it most. :)