27 July, 2007

Speech Glitch

Determination, confidence, and audience-speaker rapport. These three things are important in coming up with a great speech. If you lack a thing or two of these, the speech you had prepared for the longest time will be futile, disappointing, in other words, empty.
It was not really my first time presenting myself with a speech. I have done a lot of speeches before since I was a member of the speech club back when I was a sophomore. What drove me joining this club is that, I want to develop self-confidence in presenting myself in public. I am aware that I lack confidence, and the only way I knew I could overcome this problem of mine is through joining the club. And one more thing pushed me is that, I always love writing, and I want to develop something which I knew I am not so good at. In the club, we were trained to come up with speeches of great relevance and will leave a mark on everybody’s mind. I always feel a tinge of enthusiasm when I finish my notes for a speech, but my being unconfident overshadowed my excitement for the discourse. So, when it is my turn to deliver my speech, I end up mispronouncing, muffling the words and pausing for a while to recall my notes I often forget when all ears and eyes are on me. It is always a great relief for me when I arrive at the end of my speech, but I get disappointed too because I I have more things to say but because of my being introvert, I lost my chances in voicing out my point of view. That’s one more reason why I prefer being a writer rather than a speaker.
The day came we were asked to come up with a speech, I admit I was less interested on it because I knew I was not that good at it. But I was delighted to hear that we will create a speech that will introduce our seatmates which means that I don’t have to elaborate points, explain things further and the like. I was ecstatic on interviewing Anthonette, and we were able to think of a theme for our speeches that will be remarkable to all. We were then happy to come up with TV show parodies as an introduction. The day came I shall be delivering my speech. I was memorizing every line and detail of it before my name was called. Finally, I was asked to deliver my speech, and I felt apologetic for it was addressed to my classmates and I found it very inappropriate since my classmates were not there as the audience but instead, it was only between me and Ms. Gonzales.Then, I started my speech with the famous “deal or no deal” question and I felt happy; I saw my classmates’ smiling faces who were around that time and heard my speech. I was a bit satisfied. But when I went on with my speech, I felt nervous, and realized that my hands were all cold and sweaty once again, and felt the feeling that was very similar to the one I felt when I delivered my very first speech to an audience whom are merely strangers to me. I started panicking, for I was mispronouncing the words again, and forgot some fragments of the speech I had prepared for days. I tried to calm down, paused for a while and recalled the things I had forgotten, and started rebuilding my thoughts. I went on with it and finished it. It was a great relief. Then I felt the same again, disappointed for I knew I have more things to tell. I must say my apologies to my partner because I have not done my best to tell what a wonderful person she is. It was a bleak and dull moment. I wanted to repeat the whole speech. I want to deliver it with confidence and pride. Because the person I am about to introduce is someone whom everybody should be really proud of.
True it is, the greatest punch is no match to the greatest determination. I want to gain self-confidence. I want to defeat my so-called stage fright. I want to be freed from the ghost inside me because I know I have more things to offer, more things to express, and more things to prove. I hope that these things will serve as a learning experience, and let this be a turning point so I could change for the better me. Lucky are the ones who were given talents and enough confidence, I just hope they use this talent wisely and righteously, for words are more powerful than bombs. Whew!

I MIGHT not be able to visit my blog in the coming days, I'll be preparing for my UPCAT exams next Saturday, August 4. Wish me luck and Pray for me!

My greatest thanks to Kuya Adrian, Ate Anna, Allen, Che, JC, Tito Rey, TIta Pinky, Tito Benjie, Tita O, The Light!,She!, Ayel and to my classmates who prayed for my lolo! He's going back home tomorrow, and doing fine. I just hope he'll recover quickly and the therapy'll turn out well. Thanks a lot!

0 Comments: