04 June, 2008

"Auditioning" for CWTS

For five consecutive days, I was out on the streets. My feet are killing me, my eyes, tired, and my mind wasn't in its working condition and the only thing that made me forget about last minute fixes before college was to read a good book which gives me the ticket to a good night sleep.

Last Saturday (as you noticed, that was ages already!) Phyllis, Mylene, AJ and I agreed that we should meet 5 in the morning sharp in a convenience store near our school to enroll for CWTS (Civil Welfare Training Service) as part of our NTS (National Training Service) since only 500 students will be allowed to enroll for the subject, and the rest are forced to take ROTC instead as their NTS. Since the scheduled time for the enrollment was 8 a.m., I decided to set my alarm at 5:30. At 6 in the morning, I received a phone call from Phyllis and she asked me if I still want to go with them. I told them not to wait for me anymore since I was just about to have my breakfast, and I was confident that I'll still make it even if I stayed longer since I still have three loose hours to spend. At 6:30, I decided to go, took the quickest ride to get to the school just to make sure I'll make it, even if it pays double, or triple in the case of taking LRT rather than a jeepney ride. I arrived in PLM at around 7:00 in the morning, and the first thing I saw was a huge crowd with students carrying brown envelopes and a very long line that extends to the soccer field. Crap. I was late. I was looking for Phyllis, but she was nowhere to be found. I found a number of colleagues lined up near the person first in the line, but I didn't have the guts to slink in. Seconds turned into minutes, and minutes-to an hour; I was still near the end of the line, immobile, crazy as if I was about meters away from my deathbed. Then somewhat a divine intervention took place: Phyllis and Mylene saw me, grabbed my backpack, and dragged me to their place. "Good Lord!" I said, thanks to Raphael and Ysabel who saw me. I was sneaking in the line, and blimey, I felt guilty. I was a few steps away from enrolling for the subject which would save me from asthma attacks and sun burns, and Rosario suddenly asked me about the id picture needed for the enrollment. Then Phyllis recalled the requirements needed: 2 id pictures, registration form, money, and a photocopy of the reg form. shoot. I didn't have the photocopy of my reg form. Since I badly want the subject, I ran almost a kilometer just to find a place where I could photocopy my reg form. I was tired, sweaty, and hungry since I didn't have the chance to have a proper breakfast when I finally found a computer shop. "Finally" was the first thing I uttered upon reaching my destination. I got inside the internet cafe. The day was not made for me. I would still have to fight my way through a line to get myself a photocopy of my reg form. I was really hopeless. Then a staff came rushing down the stairs and shouted "akyat kayo may xerox sa taas!" Yehey! I ran as fast as I could, and still having the luck, I was 3rd in the line. After having my reg form photocopied, I ran again as fast as I could, so fast that I got lost. What a day. I took a wrong turn, and it was scary because there is this warehouse where men are lined outside. As I pass by. they were staring at me, and there is this person who points his finger on me. Good thing I reached the end of the street and I saw "MURALLA ST." on the wall, which tells me that I am a few blocks away from PLM. Finally, I was able to get back to the school just in time.
I was successful, but not all felt that same sense of fulfillment. There were parents running towards the security officers because they couldn't agree on the process, there were wailing and shouting, and believe it or not, there was crying. It was like auditioning for American Idol. If you have presented yourself with a good song, then you're opt to fly to Hollywood. In this case, if you have the requirements completed, and you reach the quota, then you'll be one of the lucky people who could escape the scorching heat of the sun and the killing body pains (not to mention the burden of heavy ROTC uniform) ROTC brings. Ysabel was one of the unfortunate people. 2 id pictures are required, she just brought one. She was disqualified from the subject. The sad news reminded me of the person who originally owns my slot since I am situated in a place where reaching the quota is an impossible thing to happen. I feel guilty.

To the person who truly owns my slot, I am really sorry. I just really need it. I hope you understand. ):

The Good
1. No sun burns
2. No physical activities that could cause asthma attacks
3. No mud stains on uniform

The Bad
1. No same classes with Chery
2. Same faces, almost everyone who made it in the quota are my highschool mates.

The Ugly
1. GUILT.

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

ganyan talaga 'yan! Hehe. Nakaya nga namin...kakayanin n'yo rin yan... :D

RedLan said...

whatta day! Ini-imagine ko ang mga eksena na nagmamadali ka para makahabol. Na-experience ko rin yan countless times na. rush that's it.

huwag ka ng mag-guilty, paunahan lang yan. Minsan kailangan talaga yan hindi sa selfish tayo pero kailangan lang talaga natin.

triZzZ said...

@kuya ayel
hay...sana nga...saklap nga eh, isang araw lang walang pasok sa isang linggo...pero ok lang, sa second year, maluwag-luwag na siguro sched ko.

@kuya redlan
oo super nakakapagod!tapos pagkarating ko pa sa bahay sinasama ako ng ate ko sa mall...hindi man lang ako pinagpahinga... pero ok lang, it was a great experience. feeling ko nasa amazing race ako. hehehe.

super guilty ako kasi ako yung tipo ng tao na kapag nasingitan sa linya, nagagalit talaga ako. Ngayon, it's the other way around.