27 November, 2007

The joys of having "tindahan"

Having a "tindahan" or "sari-sari store" in every baranggay is a trademark for us, Filipinos. The convenience we get from these retail stores is truly huge, few steps from home and you get what you need. From candies to toiletries, you surely have a friend in these sari-sari stores.

I learned from my mother that my cousins opened again the sari-sari store my grandma used to run. Since "nanay" had passed away, no one ever wanted to run the small business which is nanay's small way of killing time. Nanay's tindahan is the first store ever built in our street. It has been running for about half a century now, and was started by Lola Rosa, our great grandmother. It is really a treat seeing the store back to its life, but this time, the store caters candies and sweets for kids. Why candies? At the moment, there are four running sari-sari stores just a few steps away from nanay's, and they all sell the same stuffs, and take note, the owners of these stores are family friends and relatives.

I was the tindera for the day, and the experience reminded me of my lola, who spends most of her time in her tindahan, counting her money. When I was a kid, I used to ask my lola for a bottle of soda and a pack of biscuits. She would give it to me for free, with 20 pesos secretly inserted in my pocket. Miss her. Anyway,
through the experience I was able to know that kids are truly millionaires. They have so much money to spend on candies! The candies' and snacks' prices are kid's-pocket-friendly, They only need a peso to buy themselves a snack or two candies, and I can't believe it because in our school, a tiny piece of candy costs a peso. My cousins must be rich!I tried to persuade the two of them if I could have two candies and a bag of chips for free, and tried to convince them with the reasons that I seldom visit them. Too bad, they took the role seriously. I was not given my wish, and I have to pay for it. Since I payed for the things I ate, and had coins for change, I decided to indulge myself with loads of candies. Bea, my niece, came over and I just gave her all the candies I bought. I was happy to see her delighted face on the candies she have in her hands. As the tindera for the day, it is my duty to look after the stuffs and give the kids whatever they wish to buy. I remember this young girl who wants to buy a bar of chocolate for five pesos. I told her she doesn't have enough money for the chocolate, but conscience gets in the way, I ended up paying for her chocolate bar. Then, loads of kids came and I realized I was spending my money for their candies. So, I went home with my purse empty, and a small amount of money left. I'm so broke. sad.

7 Comments:

yarnhoj said...

yeah...the best talaga yung tindahan...proud to be Pinoy

triZzZ said...

oo, super saya talagang magkaron ng tindahan. Kaya lang mamumulubi ako kung dun ako nakatira sa bahay ng lola ko. haha.

Anonymous said...

my lola owns a tindahan before... its her way to have a living for her dozen children..

but the thing is, dahil a dumami na ang mga apo niya, nagsara na siya ng tindahan.. paano ba naman mas marami pa ang kuha ng mga apo kaysa sa benta.. heh ehe...

Ayel said...

wow. may nanay has sari-sari store, too. naging tindera ka rin pala. haha. if you've read my youngblood, i've been a tindero, too. hehe. Have a great day, trizZz? How's school?

triZzZ said...

@kingdaddyrich
haha. ganyan kami dati ng gma pinsan ko. kapag nasa bahay kasi ng lola namin, nire-raid namn yung tinda niya. haha. kaya tuwing sunday,walang benta, puro kupit. XD

@kuya ayel
oo naman saya nga eh. kaya lang ang hirap maging tindera, baliktad nangyayari sa'kin eh. Mas gumagastos ako kesa kumita. haha. Yep. I've already read your youngblood article, sa inquirer pa! Diba yun yung mga may bystander sa harap ng tindahan niyo? I enjoyed it myself, too. Nakakaaliw tignan yung mga tao sa labas ng tindahan.

Kris Canimo said...

my mom owns a small tindahan, and i never tried stayin there to be the tindero/tindera. coz i hated math. baka mapahiya pa ako mali ung sukli ko. haha gudlak sa midterms. :)

yarnhoj said...

uy i tagged you pala sa site ko
http://emoyarnhoj.blogspot.com

read my latest post to know what I mean...